Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankful!


On this Thanksgiving holiday, i thought it could be appropriate to post about things I am thankful for....After thinking about it a little more, there was really one thing I felt warranted a post, vs. including a bunch of things.

It took Allison and I about 5 years to have our first child, Sam. And while now, that thought occupies just a 1/2 sentence in what I am sure will be an under-read blog post, it is hard to explain what those 5 years were actually like. The emotional impact, the physical pain (mostly for allison), and a series of ups and downs, too long to list here.

So what does this have to do with Thanksgiving? With my family now up to 3 kids, each now growing up a bit, Sam at 2 1/2 and Madison and Luke at 9 months, I wanted to thank our team of doctors, for all they have given me and my family.


First on this list is Dr. Zev Rosenwaks...If you ever want to know what I have in common with Celine Dion, it is this guy (he helped Celine have her baby). Its funny, cause this picture of him sums it up pretty well....The guy must be 60, but look at that head of hair! Sick. Apart from that though, this guy, who gets an (IMHO) undeserved reputation for poor bedside manner, is a passionate scientist, who really cares about changing his patients lives. He spoke to us while attending conferences, in the middle of giving interview with Katie Couric and most impressive...during his fast while he was in temple for Yom Kippur.


Glenn Schattman, who held Allison's hand on the night of March 6th when we lost our first baby, and also was responsible for our embryo transfer that lead to Sam's birth....We used to joke that Sam kind of looked like Dr. Schattman, but now that he's gotten older, not so much....Wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world...the guy is one of the leaders in the area of surgical robotics....



Isaac Kligman who was Dr. Rosenwak's right hand man, performed a couple of procedures for us along the long and bumpy way....A great scientist, and just a really nice guy. Isaac was also the doctor who performed the ultrasound on that crazy Sunday morning and told us that Allison was pregnant with quadruplets.



Allan Kessler, Allison's OB...I always told Allison that in another life, he and I would be good friends...The nicest doctor I've ever met, who blends caution and practicality into the care you receive...yes, he had Allison on bed rest for quite a while in both pregnancies, but 3 years later, who can complain?


These doctors were a part of our lives for years, and while I am extremely happy that I will never need their services again, they are great people, who I think about all the time....They have really changed my life and are deserving of a (not-so) public thank you.

As corn bread as it might sound, for me, really every day is Thanksgiving, and each day I walk into my house and see my 3 kids, I give thanks - sometimes out loud - sometimes to myself - but should dinner conversation turn to the now cliche "what are you thankful" for, i'll just point people to this post....

No comments:

Randy Moss - Dominated by Giants!